Select both shapes using the “Selection Tool”. With both shapes selected, go to the “Pathfinder Tool” (displayed below in red). Select the “Minus Front” selection (displayed below in green). Your bottom shape should now have a cutout of the top shape.
How do you separate lines in Illustrator?
Click in the middle of the straight line to make a break in the path. Two new endpoints will appear on the original path. Alternately, click on the anchor point of the path you want to split. Select “Cut Path At Select Anchor Points” from the Control panel.
What tool lets you cut objects and paths?
Cutting with the Scissors tool
), which splits a path at an anchor point or on a line segment and makes an open path. Next, you’ll cut a shape with the Scissors tool to reshape it.
Is there a trim function in Illustrator?
Pathfinder palette has many tools which can be used to combine, divide, trim, exclude objects in illustrator. Each tool has its own utility in different situations. For example, the Trim tool in the Pathfinder Palette can be used as a cookie cutter.
How do I delete part of a shape in Illustrator?
Click and hold the Knife tool in the Tools panel and select the Scissors tool. Click in two places on the inner circle as shown. Select the cut segment with the Selection tool and press Delete to remove it.
How do I crop an artboard in Illustrator?
The Quick and Dirty Option: “Crop” With an Artboard, Export, Bring Back in
- Select The Image You Want to Crop And Click on The Artboard Icon. This time, we will crop the image with an Artboard. …
- Export The Crop as Its Own Image.
How do you smooth lines in Illustrator?
Using the Smooth Tool
- Scribble or draw a rough path with the paintbrush or pencil.
- Keep the path selected and select the smooth tool.
- Click then drag the smooth tool across your selected path.
- Repeat the steps until you get the result you want.
Which two panels can you use to change the stroke weight of an object?
You can also click in the Stroke Weight field in either the Appearance panel, the Control options, or the Stroke panel, and hit the up/down arrow keys on your keyboard to increase/decrease the stroke weight. You can also type in the Stroke Weight if you need to specify an exact weight.
How do I cut a shape out of another shape in Photoshop?
- Hold down the Command/Ctrl key and click the layer thumbnail for the arrow in the Layers Panel. This will load the arrow shape as a selection.
- Choose Select > Inverse from the menu to invert the selection.
- Highlight the Star layer in the Layers Panel.
- Click the New Mask icon at the bottom of the Layers Panel.
What is the knife tool in Illustrator?
The Knife tool in Illustrator can be used to cut a shape into smaller segments. The tool can be used to cut straight lines, or make more freehand cuts. The Knife tool is located in a different place depending on which version of Illustrator you have.
Where is Knife tool illustrator?
This tool works only in interactive mode (i.e., by moving the cursor). The button for the Knife Tool in the tools panel is located in the same group with the Eraser Tool.