Our research has found that animated GIFs are usually 5 to 10 times larger than a properly encoded MP4 video. This difference means that GIFs are not only wasting significant amounts of bandwidth, they are loading more slowly and creating a bad user experience.
Are GIF files large?
As I touched on above, GIF files tend to run large. A GIF can be ten times the file size of an identical movie file. If you want good looking GIFs that can be shared around the web, this presents a problem. If you’re using high-speed broadband then loading a 10 MB GIF embedded in a webpage isn’t a problem.
What is the difference between GIF and MP4?
Essentially, animated GIFs and videos are the same concept, but they differ in implementation. GIF started out as a normal image, and the animation was tacked on later. An animated GIF is a series of frames, and isn’t very efficient with file size. … A video, on the other hand, can use a large variety of formats.
Why are GIF sizes so big?
Why Animated GIFs Take So Much Space
The difference can sometimes become huge, a 10-second video clip in MP4 format might be 2MB, but the same video in GIF format can take up more than 20MB. … GIFs use a lossless compression algorithm, so no information is lost by compressing the pixel data.
What size should a GIF be?
Follow our best practices for making GIFs to optimize your GIFs on GIPHY! Uploads are limited to 15 seconds, although we recommend no more than 6 seconds. Uploads are limited to 100MB, although we recommend 8MB or less. Source video resolution should be 720p max, but we recommend you keep it at 480p.
Why are GIFs so low quality?
Most GIFs look small and low resolution, like the one above. It’s hard to make a series of moving images about the same file size as just one static image, like a JPEG. And since they get shared so often, the same video gets compressed and looks worse each time it gets saved and re-uploaded.
How do you resize a GIF?
How to resize GIFs online
- Upload your GIF. Upload a GIF that you want to resize from your iPhone, Android, PC, or tablet. …
- Select a new size. Select an aspect ratio or choose your preferred width and height and cropping style to make the GIF smaller or bigger. …
- Export and share!
What video format is GIF?
A GIF is also a lossless format for image files, meaning that it doesn’t lose its quality when you reduce its file size. While GIFs support both animated and static images, they are generally low resolution and low FPS (frames per second). The GIF format also only supports 256 colours.
How do I convert GIF to MP4?
How to convert GIF to MP4
- Upload gif-file(s) Select files from Computer, Google Drive, Dropbox, URL or by dragging it on the page.
- Choose “to mp4” Choose mp4 or any other format you need as a result (more than 200 formats supported)
- Download your mp4.
How do you pronounce GIF?
“It’s pronounced JIF, not GIF.” Just like the peanut butter. “The Oxford English Dictionary accepts both pronunciations,” Wilhite told The New York Times.
Why is GIF size bigger than MP4?
An animated GIF is a very bad compression format for a few reasons. … MP4 or other video formats give a much smaller file while the image quality is better than animated GIF.
How do I make a GIF smaller in size?
What to Know
- Crop extra space around the image to reduce its pixel dimensions. When you prepare the GIF, reduce its output dimensions.
- Reduce the number of colors in the image. For animated GIFs, reduce the number of frames.
- Avoid dithering and interlacing.
How can I reduce the size of a video without losing quality?
How to Reduce Video File Size without Losing Quality
- VLC (Windows, Mac, Linux) As one of the most popular media-viewing and -editing apps around, it’s no surprise that VLC is a great choice for making video files smaller. …
- Shotcut (Windows, Mac, Linux) …
- QuickTime Player (Mac) …
- VEED (Web) …
- VideoSmaller (Web) …
- Clipchamp (Web)
How do I make the perfect GIF?
How to make a GIF from a YouTube video
- Go to GIPHY.com and click Create.
- Add the web address of the video you’d like to make into a GIF.
- Find the part of the video you’d like to capture, and choose the length. …
- Optional step: decorate your GIF. …
- Optional step: add hashtags to your GIF. …
- Upload your GIF to GIPHY.
What does GIF stand for?
Graphics Interchange Format
What width and height should a GIF be?
Keep your image size under 480 pixels in width and height. Keep the number of frames under ten.